No Taker For Jurno Insurance

No working journalists in Odisha has been covered under the Odisha State Working Journalists’ Health Insurance Scheme-2016 even as 10 months have passed after the announcement by the state government. 


Information and Public Relations Minister Bikram Keshari Arukha revealed this while replying to a question by BJP MLA Dilip Ray in the State Legisaltive Assembly today.
Stating that the identification of the working journalists is a continuous process, Mr.Arukha said the state government has undertaken the countinmg.
 As many as 3351 journalists have been identified across the state as of now, the Minister said adding that  none of them have been covered under Odisha State Working Journalists’ Health Insurance Scheme-2016 yet.
The Minister said that a total of 79 journalists had applied for the insurance with a premium of Rs 1170 as per the insurance policy.
Of the 79, only 23 scribes had given their premium along with the valid certificate from their respective employers. The remaining 56, failed to produce original certificates from their employers though they had paid their premium,
The Odisha State Working Journalists’ Health Insurance Scheme has not therefore been implemented as the health insurance companies expressed their unwillingness to cover so few scribes, he informed the house..
Odisha Government on On November 29, 2016, had announced Rs 2 lakh health insurance for working journalists across the state.
It had said that all the scribes covered under the Odisha State Working Journalists’ Health Insurance Scheme-2016 will have to pay 25 percent premium for the insurance of Rs 2 lakh per year, while the remaining 75 percent of the premium will be borne by the Government.


eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by Catalyst IT Solutions Pvt. Ltd.