Fire Incident In Hospital

A fire broke out in a private hospital here today, but no one was injured in the incident, a Fire Brigade official said. However, DGP Fire Service B K Sharma has ordered an investigation on the incident.

On getting information of the fire in the battery room of the Apollo hospital near Gajapati Nagar area, fire tenders were rushed to the spot and they extinguished the flame completely within a short time, Deputy Fire Officer, RC Majhi said.

A hospital official said smoke billowing out of the battery room on the fifth floor was noticed by some staff after which the fire service was informed and immediate steps were taken to douse the flame.
Though the fire was suspected to have caused by electric short circuit, efforts are on to ascertain the exact reason, fire service and hospital officials said.

The fire was confined to the battery room and did not spread to other areas of the hospital as immediate steps were taken to suspend power supply, a hospital official said.

As a precautionary measure, some patients were shifted from the fifth floor of hospital as smoke had enveloped the area, he said.

Twenty six critical patients were shifted to different private hospitals in the city as a preventive measure. All other patients who were evacuated to the ground floor were later brought back to their respective wards.

Khurda Collector Nirmal Chandra Mishra, Twin City Police Commissioner Satyajit Mohanty and Bhubaneswar Deputy Commissioner of Police Anup Kumar Sahoo visited the hospital and took a stock of the situation.

“I sincerely thank Department of Fire Services and Police for their timely support and cooperation in managing the situation. I would also like to thank the patient and their attendants for their trust and cooperation during the evacuation process,” said Sudhir M Diggikar, Regional CEO–Odisha & Chhattisgarh, Apollo Hospitals. 

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by Catalyst IT Solutions Pvt. Ltd.